For information from the Los Angeles Fire Department on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness go to: www.cert-la.com/EmergPrepBooklet.pdf
FIRE PREVENTION AND PREPERATION:
Some companies for Wildfire home hardening and prep:
All Risk Shield; http://allriskshield.com
Defensible Space https://defensiblespace.org/
The Palisades Chamber of Commerce has produced a very comprehensive folder for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. To access this information on-line, click on: www.palisadespost.com. Go to ‘helpful links’.
The following are just some of the tips and helpful hints involved in getting prepared:
- Store one gallon of water per person per day. Rotate water supply every 6 months (do not store water bottles on concrete, put wood underneath)
- Get a hardline phone (the old fashioned kind that does not require electricity)
- While the shaking is going on…stay where you are. Take cover. After earthquake, go outside and look at house. Did it shift off foundation? Is gas leaking?
- Family plan….this is what you do… Get your backpack, check in with neighbor and emergency numbers, where to meet, etc.
- Get under something…triangle theory is wrong most of the time!
- If you’re in bed…cover head with a pillow or roll out of bed and lay next to bed if something could fall on you.
- Crow bar under every bed & car
- Backpack under every bed (*meds, clothes, flashlight, glow sticks, water, space blanket, uggs, whistle walkie talkies, batteries)
- Always look to see how you can exit a place
- Family picture w/ pets (show proof to pick up pets); Extra pet food; pet records
- Thumbdrive – scan important docs, email docs to yourself, passports, drivers license, bank statements, pet records
- Generator (any neighbors have one?)
- How to turn off gas *only turn off if you smell gas or hear a hissing sound *know how to re-light pilot & what appliances to turn on
- Shut off electricity
- Flip off individual switches
- Then shut off the main
- Tape a glow stick inside electrical panel and by gas shut off valve
- Water shut off – Valve outside of the house…not main valve at street
- Toilet tank…useable water for rinsing
- Pool water…does anyone in the neighborhood have drinkable pool water?
- Clorox bleach purifies water
- Line toilet with trash bag to use toilet…Kitty litter in bag to absorb
- CERT Program – Schedule training
- Keep small denominations of cash available